Questions to Ask Your Breast Reduction SurgeonJune 10, 2018
Prior to choosing a major surgical procedure such as breast reduction, the patient should clearly understand what the procedure entails, what are its potential risks and benefits, and its estimated recovery and result. The patient should preferably have her questions prepared in advance when she schedules a breast reduction consultation.
During the consultation, she should freely ask questions, and not hesitate to ask a question twice if she does not understand the surgeon’s answer. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Gary Motykie MD provides breast reduction to patients in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and surrounding locations across the horizon.
Detailed Pre-operative Consultation
The patient and the surgeon should be able to communicate openly in a frank and transparent manner before the breast reduction surgery. If the patient feels more confident about the surgery after the consultation and feels totally satisfied with the surgeon’s explanations and answers to her questions, she may go ahead with the breast reduction surgery.
The surgeon may provide breast reduction before and after images to supplement their answers and explanations during the consultation. The patient may ask questions based on the photos in order to form realistic expectations about breast reduction. She may also request the surgeon for testimonials of past patients to learn about their experience with the surgeon.
Suggested List of Questions
The patient may include some or all of the following questions in her list at the time pre-op breast reduction consultation:
- Are you a board certified plastic surgeon, and if yes, from which board?
- How many years of training and experience do you have in plastic surgery?
- Have you performed breast reduction procedure previously, and what is your success rate in breast surgeries?
- Would you recommend general anesthesia or sedation to perform my surgery?
- Where will you perform my surgery – at a hospital, an accredited surgical center or a private surgical suite?
- How many hours will it take inside the operating room to complete the surgery?
- Will I be able to breastfeed in the future after this surgery?
- What are the potential risks and complications involved in breast reduction?
- Do I make a good candidate for breast reduction?
- Do you think I would benefit from a combination of breast reduction and breast lift surgery?
- How much downtime will be involved and will the recovery be painful?
- What kind of aftercare should I arrange for following the procedure?
- How much visible scarring I should expect?
- How much will the breast reduction surgery cost me, including pre- and post-operative expenses?
- Will I need to wear a surgical bra following the procedure, and for how long?
- Will I experience a permanent loss of sensation in the nipples following the surgery?
- Will you be accessible to me during all my visits to your office with regard to my surgery?
- How do I reach you in case of an emergency?
Dedicated cosmetic surgeon Dr. Gary Motykie MD receives patients from Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, and other cities and towns in this region of The Golden State for breast reduction.
To see more services and treatments provided by Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Motykie in Beverly Hills | Los Angeles and his team please visit: